PDF Studio only needs an internet connection for a few functions:
- Registration / Un-Registration
- Downloading OCR language packs
- Email a PDF through File > Email
- Emailing Support through Help > Email Support
- Downloading software updates through Help > Check for Updates
- Some features within PDF documents can require to access internet connection, such as submitting forms
Some companies use proxy servers and / or firewalls to filter or secure access to the internet and wonder how PDF Studio will work in this environment.
1. Check User Browser Settings
By default, PDF Studio will use the default user browser’s settings. So if the browser is configured to use the proxy server, then PDF Studio will use it as well. And if your users can browse the internet, PDF Studio should be able to perform the above functions.
2. Check Proxy Server / Firewall Settings
Proxy servers or firewalls may be blocking PDF Studio.
Make sure that PDF Studio is in the list of allowed applications.
3. Set Up PDF Studio to Go Through Your Proxy Server
If none of the above options worked for you, you may have a more controlled environment and you will need to specify your proxy server information within PDF Studio options on each user machine.
To change the running options, under Windows and Linux, look for a file called “pdfstudioX.vmoptions” (where “X” is the version number) under PDF Studio installation folder. Open the file, add the following 3 lines (with the appropriate values, see below for more info) and save back:
- http.proxyHost is the host name of the proxy server
- http.proxyPort is the port number, the default value being 80
- http.nonProxyHosts is a list of hosts that should be reached directly, bypassing the proxy. This is a list of patterns separated by ‘|’. The patterns may start or end with a ‘*’ for wildcards. Any host matching one of these patterns will be reached through a direct connection instead of through a proxy.
All http connections in the example above will go through the proxy server at webcache.example.com listening on port 8080.
3. If this does not resolve the issue try our Manual Offline Registration steps