PDF Studio 9 was released on March 21 2014.
Customers who bought PDF Studio 8 after Dec 1 2013 get a free upgrade to version 9. Contact PDF Studio Support with any question.
What’s new in PDF Studio 9?
Create PDF Forms Pro
Check out our introduction video here PDF Form Field Editor / Designer for Mac, Windows, Linux
Redact PDF Content Pro
The new redaction feature makes it easier for users to permanently remove sensitive information from PDF documents.
- Add redaction annotations to cover an area on a page. The area can contain any PDF objects such as text, image, or shape objects.
- Apply the redaction annotations to remove the underlying content that intersects with the area redacted.
PDF/A Support Pro
- Verify PDF/A compliance (for archiving) with document preflight.
- Create PDF/A compliant documents.
- Read more about PDF/A support
- Apply Pro and verify digital signatures with a time-stamp authenticated by a trusted, independent authority. Many security standards now require this added level of security to encrypt administrative and legal documents.
- (Windows, Mac) Support for operating system root certificates when validating signatures.
- (Windows, Mac) Support for operating system digital IDs, including hardware keys, when applying signatures Pro.
- Apply Pro certifying signatures. This is the first signature on the document placed by the document creator and allows to define changes allowed to the certified document.
- Preserve on Save, enforce and clear document usage rights for Adobe Reader. Read more about PDF Document Permissions.
- Validation of multiple digital signatures.
- Support for security-enabled college textbook PDFs
- Support for latest AES 256 encryption
Faster Annotation Editing
A new toolbar allows easy access to common annotations properties such as fill and border color, border width, and font size. The properties toolbar will show in the bottom right most section of your toolbar, but can also float anywhere on your screen.
A new user-friendly color chooser shows a wider palette of standard colors and remembers the last sixteen custom colors across sessions.
Many Other Annotation Improvements:
- Greatly improved pencil annotation for handwriting and signatures:
- smooth lines and curves rendering
- resize by dragging the annotation corner
- Markup text is automatically copied into the annotation’s note (see Edit-> Preferences -> Annotations).
- Resize annotation note popup
- Show total number of comments in the comments pane
- Improved rotation for My Comments/Recent comments when placed on a rotated page
- Save text markups in My Comments – add multiple highlight colors so you can easily add different colors to a document
- Sticky option for text markups and My Comments
- Lock annotation properties
- Set annotation border to non-integer values (like 1.5px)
- Show a selection border for border-less text boxes
- Double-click annotation in the comments pane to open the note dialog; use space bar to toggle the checkbox
New Tool: Edit Interactive Objects
Select individual or multiple annotations and form fields to move or edit their properties. Click on a single object, or drag to select multiple objects. This tool will make it easier to select and align multiple form fields or annotations, move links and signature fields, and make a quick edit on a form field’s properties without going into Form Editing mode.
The redesigned crop feature now displays preview marks for the new margins on the page. Crop is also un-doable in this version.
User Interface / Experience improvements
- Tooltips for Bookmarks and Attachment names in the left pane for easier reading
- Page down/up with Space/Shift+Space; zoom in and out with Ctrl+Plus and Ctrl+Minus
- Show all attachments in Attachments pane, whether added as file or note
- List of open documents in the Window menu
- Open multiple files at once from the file chooser on Linux and Windows
- Option to display first page on the right when in Facing view
- Toolbar buttons for next/previous view (previously only View menu items)
- Support multi-touch zoom for Mac trackpads
- Set custom PDF display DPI
Additional Improvements and fixes
- Allow to open password protected textbooks and e-books from online universities, such as the University of Phoenix, using a Vitrium DRM.
- New Split document option for After specific text
- Export and print bookmarks tree and comments list
- Remember bookmark tree node settings
- On Windows, option to send emails through Outlook when emailing documents, if Outlook is the default mail application
- Increased performance on larger documents
- Improved performance on very large JPGs
- New command line arguments to open document at specified page and/or zoom level
- Fixed some instances where bookmarks did not go to the right location
- Faster text search; warn when a document has no text to search or markup
- Fix for issue that occasionally caused text stamps to display as “Draft” when edited in other applications
- Improvements in file chooser dialog: include files with upper-case extensions (Linux), attempt to open PDFs with no extension or an unknown extension.
- Clear signature fields when resetting form fields
- Batch file names padded with 0 for easier sorting
- Remove Acrobat.com integration – the API was discontinued
- Make sure horizontal scroll bar appears when adding a new, much larger page
- Fix for some documents printing letters upside down
- Fix for some documents made by FileMaker Pro and PDF Creator Ultimate not displaying correctly
- Fix for displaying header/footer after OCR
- Allow OCR for pages that already have some text content included
- Improved Word to PDF conversion