PDF Studio comes with a PDF Overlay Comparison feature that allows to visually compare documents by overlaying a second document onto the first using different colors to display any differences. This feature was introduced in PDF Studio version 10.
This feature is especially useful for architects and engineers to visually identify even small differences in architectural drawing and blue prints. It can be used not only to compare PDF documents but also scans, images or Word documents that have been converted to PDFs using PDF Studio.
How to compare two documents using Vector Overlay Comparison
- Open the initial or first document in PDF Studio. This will become Document A in the Overlay Comparison.
- On the toolbar go to Document Tab > Overlay
- This will launch the Create Comparison dialog
- Select the additional documents you wish to compare (2 or more documents can be compared at once)
- Set the options for each of the documents
- Click Start and it will create the new overlay document and open it in a separate window
How to Align Documents
- Add all of the documents you wish to compare to the document list
- Click on Align Points to begin the process
- Each document in the list will be opened in order. For each document: select the same 3 points, in the same order to align the pages
- Note: For best results, the points should be far apart (close to the corners)
- Once completed the documents will be automatically aligned when the overlay document is created
Once the alignment has been set the Position values in the Layer Options dialog will be disabled. If needed you can click on Clear Alignment to remove the automatically set alingment and set a manual alignment instead.
Vector Overlay Options
Below are the options available when setting up the overlay comparison
Add Files – Displays a file chooser to add one or more files to the list
Edit – Opens the layer options for the selected layer
Align Points – Starts the automated alignment tool, see How to Align Documents below
– Removes the selected file(s) from the list.
– Moves the selected file(s) up the list.
– Moves the selected file(s) down the list.
– Moves the selected file(s) to the top of the list.
– Moves the selected file(s) to the bottom of the list.
File – Displays the file name and path of the selected document
Layer Name – Sets the name to be used for the comparison layer
Color – Select the color for the document (the default colors generally provide the best results). See Choosing colors for overlay PDF comparison.
Pages – Set the pages of the document to be compared using the From and To options
Rotate – Adjust the rotation of the document if needed
Offset X & Y – Adjust the X & Y location values of the document move it left, right, up, or down
Scale X & Y – Adjust the scale values to increase or decrease the size of the document