Q: Why aren’t form fields & annotations redacted when using the redaction tool?
A: Form Fields and Annotations are not redacted in a PDF because these objects are not actually a part of the PDF Content. Form Fields are widgets that are used to display the field values and Annotations are displayed above the actual PDF Content. Each of these can easily be removed from the document by just clearing the values in the Form Fields or deleting the Annotations. If you still wish to redact Form Fields or Annotations you will first need to flatten them onto the PDF.
Removing Form Fields
- Clear individual Form Fields by selecting the field and erasing the value as you normally would with Delete or Backspace
- Clear all fields by selecting Forms->Reset Fields from the menu bar
- Flatten the Form Fields by going to Forms->Flatten All Fields then follow the steps in How to Redact a PDF in PDF Studio as normal to redact the Form Fields
- Clear individual Annotations by selecting the Annotation and deleting as you normally would with Delete or Backspace
- Remove all Annotations by selecting Comments->Delete All Comments or Comments->Delete All Comments on Current Page from the menu bar
- Flatten the Annotations by going to Comments->Flatten All Comments or Comments->Flatten All Comments on Current Page then follow the steps in How to Redact a PDF in PDF Studio as normal to redact the Annotations