PDF/A verification and conversion to PDF/A was added in PDF Studio 9 to conform to PDF/A ISO Standards.
PDF/A uses a strict subset of the ISO PDF specification to create archival versions of documents with the intent that they will always render exactly the same as when they were saved.
PDF/A is growing in popularity as international governments, libraries, newspapers, and legal systems recognize the need for digital documents to be preserved in a consistent format for a long period of time.
PDF Studio will provide a PDF/A preflight and compliance verification (in addition to the existing PDF/X preflight) as well as the ability to save files in the PDF/A format.
Depending on the selected PDF/A profile, the following changes may be made to the document during conversion:
- Graphics will be converted to a device-independent format. If any device dependent color spaces are used, they will be defined by embedding a color profile for these color spaces.
- Fonts will be embedded (system fonts and standard fonts).
- NOTE: PDF Studio version 11 and earlier can only embed standard fonts.
- Transparency may be removed.
- Unsupported annotations (e.g., video, audio, 3D) will be removed.
- Embedded files and external hyperlinks may be removed.
PDF/A Validation and Conversion Results
Please find below an explanation for the icons found next to each PDF/A validation or conversion results in PDF Studio.
Unsupported Features in PDF/A Conversion:
When any of the features below are encountered, the document can not be converted to PDF/A.
- The PDF document is secured / encrypted with passwords and permissions. Workaround: Users should clear any security on a document before running PDF/A conversion.
- The PDF documents has user rights enabled. Workaround: Users should clear user rights before running PDF/A conversion.
- The PDF document contains a digital signature. Converting to PDF/A would invalidate any digital signature. Workaround: Users should clear or remove digital signature fields before running PDF/A conversion.
- The PDF document contains unsupported PDF commands or operators. Often these documents can not render in PDF Studio or will have pages that do not render properly. Workaround: Users may be able delete the invalid pages.
- In PDF Studio 11 and earlier: Only the standard 14 PDF fonts could be embedded. Non standard system fonts will not be embedded. There is no workaround for fixing this other then recreating the PDF document using different fonts or upgrading to the latest version of PDF Studio (version 12 or higher).
Interesting Fact: As a user, even if you do not need to validate or convert to PDF/A, running PDF/A validation is also an easy way to verify that a document was created correctly and that it follows the PDF specifications. The validation process will bring up any formatting issue that may be present in the document and that do not comply with the PDF specifications (and more).